The Archetype of the Classic Watch
Rolex is introducing the new generation of the Oyster Perpetual Datejust 36, in either Everose Rolesor (combining Oystersteel and 18 ct Everose gold) or yellow Rolesor (combining Oystersteel and 18 ct yellow gold) versions, each available with a large selection of dials. The new Datejust 36 watches are equipped with a 36 mm case featuring redesigned lugs and sides, and calibre 3235, at the forefront of watchmaking technology.
Many different combinations are available. An Everose Rolesor version features a white dial with 18 ct pink gold Roman numerals and a fluted bezel. One yellow Rolesor version is presented with a champagne-colour dial, diamond-set hour markers, and a fluted bezel. Another yellow Rolesor version is offered with a white mother-of-pearl dial and a diamond-set bezel.
Like all Rolex watches, the new-generation Datejust 36 carries the Superlative Chronometer certification, which ensures excellent performance on the wrist.
Rolex’s Datejust is the archetype of the classic watch thanks to functions and aesthetics that never go out of fashion. Launched in 1945, it was the first self-winding waterproof chronometer wristwatch to display the date in a window at 3 o’clock on the dial, and consolidated all the major innovations that Rolex had contributed to the modern wristwatch until then. Aesthetically, the Datejust has spanned eras while retaining the enduring codes that today still make it one of the most recognizable of watches.
Rolesor, A Marriage of Gold and Oystersteel
Rolesor, the combination of gold and steel on a Rolex watch, has been a signature feature of the brand since 1933, when the name was registered. It is an auspicious meeting of two metals: one, noble and precious, attractive for its lustre and stability; the other, highly resistant, known for its strength and reliability. All of these qualities perfectly mirror the elegance and performance that come together in a Rolex watch. On the Everose Rolesor versions of the new Datejust 36, the bezel, winding crown and centre bracelet links are in 18 ct Everose gold, while the case and the outer links of the bracelet are in Oystersteel. The yellow Rolesor versions follow the same principle, using 18 ct yellow gold rather than Everose gold.
The Oyster Case, Symbol of Waterproofness
The Oyster case of the Datejust 36, guaranteed waterproof to a depth of 100 metres (330 feet), is a paragon of robustness and elegance. Its refined middle case is crafted from a solid block of Oystersteel. The case back, edged with fine fluting, is hermetically screwed down with a special tool that allows only Rolex watchmakers to access the movement. The winding crown, fitted with the Twinlock double waterproofness system, screws down securely against the case. The crystal, with a Cyclops lens at 3 o’clock for easy reading of the date, is made of virtually scratchproof sapphire. The waterproof Oyster case provides optimum protection for the Datejust 36’s high-precision movement.
Perpetual Calibre 3235
The new Datejust 36 watches are equipped with calibre 3235, a new-generation movement entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex. A consummate demonstration of Rolex technology, at the forefront of the art of watchmaking, this self-winding mechanical movement offers fundamental gains in terms of precision, power reserve, resistance to shocks and magnetic fields, convenience and reliability. It incorporates the Chronergy escapement patented by Rolex, which combines high energy efficiency with great dependability. Made of nickel-phosphorus, this escapement is also insensitive to magnetic interference.
An optimized blue Parachrom hairspring is fitted to the oscillator, the true heart of the watch. Manufactured by Rolex in an exclusive para-magnetic alloy, it is up to 10 times more precise than a traditional hairspring in case of shocks. A Rolex overcoil ensures its regularity in any position.
Calibre 3235 is equipped with a self-winding module via a Perpetual rotor. Thanks to its new barrel architecture and the escapement’s superior efficiency, the power reserve of calibre 3235 extends to approximately 70 hours. This calibre equips the Datejust 36 for the first time.
Oyster and Jubilee Bracelets
The new Datejust 36 watches are available on an Oyster or a Jubilee bracelet, which benefit from a concealed attachment system, ensuring seamless visual continuity between the bracelet and case. They are also equipped with an Oysterclasp and include the Easylink rapid extension system, patented by Rolex in 1996, that allows the wearer to easily increase the bracelet length by approximately 5 mm for additional comfort.
Superlative Chronometer Certification
Like all Rolex watches, the Datejust 36 is covered by the Superlative Chronometer certification redefined by Rolex in 2015. This exclusive designation testifies that each watch has successfully under- gone a series of tests conducted by Rolex in its own laboratories according to its own criteria, which exceed watchmaking norms and standards. The certification applies to the fully assembled watch, after casing the movement, guaranteeing superlative performance on the wrist in terms of precision, power reserve, waterproofness and self-winding. The precision of a Rolex Superlative Chronometer after casing is of the order of −2 /+2 seconds per day, or more than twice that required of an official chronometer.
The Superlative Chronometer status is symbolized by the green seal that comes with every Rolex watch and is coupled with an international five-year guarantee.
Each of the following new models feature the same technical details:
- Oyster (monobloc middle case, screw-down case back and winding crown)
- 36mm case
- 100 metres (330 feet)
- Caliber 3235, Manufacture Rolex
- Mechanical movement with bidirectional self-winding via Perpetual rotor
- −2/+2 sec/day, after casing
- Centre hour, minute and seconds hands
- Instantaneous date at 3 o’clock with secure rapid-setting
- Stop-seconds for exact time setting
- Approximately 70 hours power reserve
- Cyclops lens over the date with double anti-reflective coating
- Folding Oysterclasp
- Easylink 5 mm comfort extension link
Case reference 126231 | Bracelet reference 72801
- Oystersteel and 18 ct Everose gold (Everose Rolesor) case
- 18 ct Everose gold, fluted bezel
- White lacquer dial
- Roman numeral hour markers in 18 ct Everose
- Polished centre links in 18 ct Everose gold, satin-finished outer links in Oystersteel with polished edges (Everose Rolesor)
- Price: $10,950 USD
Case reference 126231 | Bracelet reference 72801
- Oystersteel and 18 ct yellow gold (yellow Rolesor) case
- Oystersteel, polished finish 18 ct yellow gold, fluted
- Champagne-colour, sunray finish dial
- 10 diamond hour markers in 18k yellow gold
- Polished centre links in 18 ct yellow gold, satin-finished outer links in Oystersteel with polished edges (yellow Rolesor)
- Price: $12,550
Case reference 126233 | Bracelet reference 72803
- Oystersteel and 18 ct yellow gold (yellow Rolesor)
- 18 ct yellow gold bezel, set with 52 brilliant-cut diamonds
- Scratch-resistant sapphire
- White mother-of-pearl dial
- 10 diamonds hour markers in 18 ct yellow gold settings
- Jubilee, five-piece solid links polished centre links in 18 ct yellow gold, satin-finished outer links in Oystersteel with polished edges (yellow Rolesor)
- Price: Available upon request with your local AD